Friday, September 17, 2010

Making Space


When I hear or read a person expressing a sense of alienation, of exclusion, or of difference, I want to be very careful with my reaction.  I try to hold on loosely to my own perspective because I’ve recognized limitations and constraints on my ability to understand.  Not that I am without opinion and conviction or fearful about confrontation and disagreement.  Over ideas, politics, philosophies I am not so worried about believing what I believe and defending it.  However, people are special.  When encountering real flesh and blood people, who experience life differently, and their sense of worth or place in the world I want to be far less certain and far more careful.

The readings this week challenge me in this area.  How do I, as a teacher, create a learning environment open and friendly and accessible to all of my students without pigeonholing them into roles I create for them?  Is it my job, as Ms. Blackmon (I believe un-reflectively) imagines her own, to assign students to “discourse communities” and have them write private thoughts for a public show on how “difference is necessary for the formation of the individual?”  Is it my job, in a writing class, to use computers and the access they provide to various nooks and crannies of cyberspace in a way some might find offensive?  I found Tulley and Blair’s article helpful in giving me ideas on how to create open accessible environments, without social engineering. 

I also found Mary’s description of the interaction at conferences reminiscent of difficulties I’ve experienced, over the years, communicating with the women I hold dearest. My wife especially is the most competent person I know.  She is brilliant, thoughtful, accomplished and wise.  I want to be more like her in many ways.  Still, sometimes we have moments where we are speaking different languages.  We, as a couple, need “feminine interventions” to overcome the natural gaps in our perspective, thinking and communication.  We don’t need so many masculine ones, but when we do they seem easier for her to grasp.  I owned a construction company without any female employees or sub-contractors.  I can only imagine the kind of situations Mary described in her paper.  I always think about how many good ideas and how much talent is left on the table when people don’t bend and stretch to understand and make space for each other.



3 comments:

  1. Hmmm interesting concerns both personal and pedagogical but how do you define and mean social engineering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until your comments I was unaware "social engineering" could mean a high tech grift or con. I could, on a more cynical day, make a case for being scammed by higher education, but today is filled with hope.

    I used the term in a provocative and imprecise way parallel to a political science definition. What I am uncomfortable with is using a position of authority, especially in a trusted role like a teacher, to advance political or ideological goals in a way that is not clear to all participants. Now, that opens the door to all types of arguments about uncritically maintaining existing power structures and systems, inequities and justice and the rest. All of which are valid, helpful and useful points for reflection and discussion and even action. Keeping in mind freeing someone from one system often requires shackling them to another. Looking at these issues is perfect for our class where ideas are exposed, we are more free to speak our minds and can adopt or resist ideas being presented. This is not so in younger, less sophisticated undergraduates.

    I know this seems naive and that the history of education and knowledge is largely about power struggles and control of the population. Just ask Socrates. My concern is not for knowledge or power which are temporal, constantly shifting and from my perspective bad investments. As a Christian I believe in the eternal value of each person. I desire put the person(even the lowly student) first and to treat them as I would want to be treated. And I don't like being reduced to"Christian,""White-ish","Male," or any other category. On that basis I am wary of subdividing students in categories beyond what is apparent and necessary to the goal of learning to write. I prefer to leave cultural taxonomy to others, "social engineers."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first paragraph is insightful. One of my biggest concerns as a writer, and probably as a writing teacher if I were one, is the exclusion/inclusion issue. I stress and stress and stress about how to do something without alienating somebody. To do this successfully is impossible. So perhaps it's not about strict inclusion, but rather openness - creating a classroom with opportunities for inclusion, discussion, and critical awareness. How might you do this while exercising care and caution in the classroom? Perhaps your own acknowledgement of difference helps create a "safe space" for students with a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences?

    ReplyDelete